Over this past weekend, I learned how to make yummy vegetarian eggrolls! They are better than they sound :)
This recipe is for approximately 50-60 eggrolls. The portions of veggies are all to your liking (you can add more or less of what you want).
2 sweet potatoes
7 packs of vermicelli noodles (bean thread)
2 packs of spring rolls wrappers (grab additional pack if you have extra filling)
2 tsp. tapioca starch
1/2 cup water
2 1/2 tsp. salt
5 tsp. sugar
Wash cabbage, carrots, sweet potatoes.
Large bowls, tongs or chopsticks, cutting board, shredder/mincer, corn or vegetable oil, 3 quart pot or larger, strainer, scissors or knife to cut the noodles.
1. Using a shredder/mincer- shred cabbage, carrots and sweet potatoes and set aside in a big bowl.
2. Prepare vermicelli noodles by immersing into boiling/hot water for a few minutes; or until soften. Drain noodles & put into bowl. Make sure to press water out of noodles; or everything will be soggy. Use scissors to cut into pieces (cut while in bowl). Set aside.
3. Unwrap spring roll wrappers and peel piece by piece and set aside. This is done for convenience when you are ready to wrap the eggrolls.
4. Combine, cabbage, carrots, sweet potatoes, vermicelli noodles, sugar & salt into big bowl and mix together with hand. Make sure it's dispersed evenly. Set this aside.
5. Prepare the eggroll "sealer". Heat tapioca starch and water until mixture is clear. This will only be about a minute or so. An egg can also be used as a sealer.
6. Place 1 wrapper on a cutting board or large flat plate (corner of wrapper towards you). Using a large spoon, put eggroll filler about an inch into a corner of the wrapper. Fold corner over mixture. Then fold 2 corners into center and start rolling. MAKE SURE YOU ARE ROLLING TIGHTLY BUT NOT RIPPING THE WRAPPER. Roll until there is about an inch left. Using your finger or a brush, place some sealer onto this section and roll onto the end. Make sure the end corner is completely sealed.
Continue these steps until your mixture is all gone.
7. Fill the pot with oil and let boil. Make sure you DO NOT fill to the top. Once the oil starts boiling, slowly place eggroll in one at a time to avoid splatter. OUCH!
8. Since there is not meat being used for these, it will be quick. Let the eggroll sit until golden then remove with chop sticks or tongs. They will not be in more than few minutes. continue this process for the rest. Place onto bowl with paper towel.
There are varieties of ingredients and types of eggrolls you can make to your liking.
Experiment & ENJOY!!